We have many perfect destinations for your adventure travel, whatever your needs
Featured private group holidays
Fancy one of our fantastic adventures but only want to travel with people you know? Do it your way as a private group. We make private group trips for everyone, from big families to scouts and cadets.
- Activity Holidays – all action adventure
- Cultural Tours – lost cities & local life
- Wildlife Holidays – global wildlife encounters
- Trekking Holidays – peaks & summits
- Astronomy Tours – eclipses & stargazing
- Charity Holidays - do something amazing
- School Trips - exciting school trips abroad
- Northern Lights Tours - aurora borealis
- Private Groups - Create your own group
Feature adventure holidays
We’ve developed a range of dedicated solo holidays & solo travel packages; exclusively for people booking on their own. Around 40% of all our passengers are solo travellers.
Capture the Northern Lights on camera with help from Explorers
Increased solar activity makes this winter a prime time to view the Northern Lights, but for amateur photographers it can be tricky to capture the swirling curtains of green, white and pink with a camera.
Specialist holiday operator, Explorers Astronomy Tours has the following expert tips to help travellers get the perfect shot:
- Ensure you have lots of space on your memory card; you may not get this chance again!
- Fully charge your camera battery, as cold weather and long exposures sap power
- Switch off your auto-focus and the flash (or put black tape over it)
- Select the daylight setting and remove any UV or polarizing filters
- Adjust the ISO to 800 or 1600 – the darker the sky, the higher it should be
- Use the widest lens you have and the widest aperture (choose the lowest f/ number)
- Set the exposure time to 5 – 20 seconds, or less if the lights are changing rapidly
- Hold the camera steady with a tripod or rest it somewhere, else you’ll get blurry shots
- Be patient, the lights are unpredictable but well worth waiting for!
Explorers, which has more than 30 years’ experience of arranging astronomy tours, sets the dates for all of its Northern Lights tours around new moons to reduce light interference and to maximise the chance of witnessing the incredible display of light.
The tour operator’s new Northern Lights Short Break (five-days from £899 without flights, from £1,099pp with flights) stays on the shores of Lake Myvatn in northern Iceland, which is ideally located to explore rugged landscapes, snow-covered volcanoes, icy waterfalls and natural springs by day, and sufficiently remote to experience a colourful display of the lights by night. The trips are accompanied by leading astronomy experts.
“The Northern Lights are high up on many people’s wish-list of natural wonders to witness at least once in their lifetime, and this year the display should be even more spectacular than usual,” said David Phillips, Operations Manager at Explorers. “Seeing the lights is a truly memorable experience and by following our few simple tips, there’s a good chance you’ll capture them on camera so that you can relive the moment when you return home.”
In addition to the Northern Lights Short Break, Explorers offers several other trips to see the Northern Lights, including an eight-day Icelandic Northern Lights tour (from £1,499pp with flights) and a five-day Glaciers, Geysers & Northern Lights break (from £1,159 with flights) which has been specifically designed as a unique and memorable holiday for families.
Explorers’ Northern Lights tours can be booked on 0845 287 6121 or www.astronomytours.co.uk
Notes to editors
For more information or images please contact Nicola Frame, Explorers’ PR Manager on firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 (0)7725 261232
Note to Editors
Explorers has been organising specialist astronomy tours for more than 30 years. Its unique and memorable holidays offer the chance to see some truly spectacular natural events, from the Northern Lights to total solar eclipses. Every tour is accompanied by a leading astronomy expert, who is on-hand to offer insight and help people get more from their holiday. Explorers’ family astronomy tours have been developed in partnership with leading family holiday specialist, The Adventure Company and combine a range of exciting activities by day with stargazing by night.
Press Contact Details
If you are a member of the press and want further information, please contact Nicola using the details below.
Please note, this service is for members of the press only.
Marketing & PR Assistant
The Adventure Company
Cross & Pillory House
1 Cross & Pillory Lane
Tel: +44 (0)845 608 7713