The Adventure Company offers over 250 activity holidays to many destinations spanning every continent. We have many perfect destinations for your adventure travel, whatever your needs
Featured private group holidays
Fancy one of our fantastic adventures but only want to travel with people you know? Do it your way as a private group. We make private group trips for everyone, from big families to scouts and cadets.
- Activity Holidays – all action adventure
- Cultural Tours – lost cities & local life
- Wildlife Holidays – global wildlife encounters
- Trekking Holidays – peaks & summits
- Hands On Trips – conservation & your help
- Collection Trips – added comfort & style
- Astronomy Tours – eclipses & stargazing
- Expedition Cruises – polar experiences
- Photographic Holidays - photos for families
- Charity Holidays - do something amazing
- School Trips - exciting school trips abroad
- Northern Lights Tours - aurora borealis
- Private Groups - Create your own group
Feature adventure holidays
We’ve developed a range of dedicated solo holidays & solo travel packages; exclusively for people booking on their own. Around 40% of all our passengers are solo travellers.
Ecuador's last remaining ice man
At an age when many of us are planning our retirement, an amazing 68 year old man in Ecuador spends hours trekking up a mountain in the Andes to cut away ice to sell. He is the last practitioner of an ancient trade.
It takes Baltazar Ushca five hours to walk to the ice mine on Mount Chimorazo. The highest mountain in Ecuador has fed him and his family for generations. The path is steep and the elements are strong, but Ushca, Ecuador's last hielero, or iceman, has made the trip at least once a week since he was 15.
Ushca and his son-in-law Juan begin their journey at 7am and reach the ice mine, called Los Hieleros, around midday. It is a part of the glacier covered by rocks, connected to the main glacier, which is at least another 500m (1,640ft) up. Ushca uses a pick to break off blocks of ice and then sculpts the block into cubes and wraps them in straw to transport them on the mule. It is 4pm by the time he arrives home.
Before fridges, natural ice was used to refrigerate food. These days ice from the mountain is used to make traditional fruit juices or ice creams as people claim it has natural healing properties.
All the other hieleros have passed away or found easier and better-paying jobs. But Ushca's reputation as the "last iceman" has brought him fame and has turned his work into a more lucrative business.
- Peru Holidays (302)
- Family Activity Holidays (237)
- Egypt Holidays (199)
- Tanzania Holidays (194)
- Trekking Holidays (193)
- Nepal Holidays (163)
- Morocco Holidays (111)
- India Holidays (86)
- South Africa Holidays (85)
- Safari Holidays (73)
- Jordan Holidays (62)
- Walking Holidays (53)
- Cuba Holidays (44)
- Solo Holidays (9)
- Winter Holidays (3)