Jump to Navigation
0808 250 7442
Freephone

Peaks of the Atlas 07/08/11

Welcome Guest, to make a post on the forum you need to login or register.

Hi!

Anyone else going on the peaks trip in August? (well I guess someone else is....!)

Phil

Replies

Hi Phil - yes I'll be on it (that's two of us then!). Looking forward to it.
Cheers,
John.

Hi John!

Phew, am glad it's not just me, a donkey and a big mountain range! :-)

Have you been on any of these trips before? Is my first so am definitely looking forward to it. Just "researching" water purification tablets!

Phil

Hi Phil - when I last spoke to the company they said these trips tend to fill up quite late so hopefully there'll be a good group of us on it :)

Haven't been to Morocco before, but I've done a bit of trekking before - in Nepal to Everest Base Camp and I did Kilimanjaro too - if this is anywhere near as good as those (Base Camp especially) then it'll be amazing!

On those trips I used a CamelSac water thingy to drink from - I'm constantly glugging water so it's really helpful. Think I used iodine drops to purify the water - pretty unpleasant taste but you get used to it! It's better than getting the squits anyway!

My email's johnkenyon90@hotmail.com if you (& anyone else coming!) want to get in touch.

Cheers,
John.

Hi Guys,

I'm one of the latecomers! I've got a bit of impromptu time off work in August so booked a bit last minute. The guy said there's now at least 10 of us so should be lots of fun.

I've been to Marrakech and Essaouira on the coast a few years ago and had a great time but was sad I didn't get up into the mountains. I did however learn a lot about rabies prophylaxis after getting bitten by a monkey in the Djeema el Fna (long story)!

Looking forward to meeting you all,

Niki

Hi Niki!

Haha, I booked up mine in like December and I think I've only just sorted myself out(pair of new sunglasses pending) so I respect your impromptuness!! :-)

My doctors said that we didn't need rabies in the mountains....however having googled Djeema el Fna I understand and I'll keep that in mind when shopping not treking.... How bizzare! (pun intended).

I get into Gatwick around 4.30ish next week so if anyone wants to meet up before the flight I'm sure we can arrange something!

Phil

Quick question on gear while I'm on here - what type of jacket/coat are people taking?
After the sleeping bag it's the bulkest item in the bag.
Going on websites etc. it seems to be generally dry in August if a bit chilly (though photos of people in t-shirts at the top of Toubkal) so within normal contigency planning, a decent fleece and a couple of layers would seem to be sufficient over a chunky rain coat.

Two nice websites
http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Toubkal/forecasts/4167
http://www.yr.no/place/Morocco/Marrakech-Tensift-Al_Haouz/Jebel_Toubkal/...

I wonder what the wifi will be like? Then we can check the weather before our assent....I'm guessing there'll be at least a Starbucks or MacDs on the way up???? ;-)

One of my mates joked if I forget to take anything that I'll find a Tesco Express somewhere!

Newest Discussions

Recent posts and what you’re talking about right now

Spirit of the Incas - August 2013 by rachhs (2013) Monday, April 08, 2013 01:43 PM
October 2013 by Gramps (2013) Sunday, April 07, 2013 04:02 PM
October 2013 by Gramps (2013) Sunday, April 07, 2013 04:01 PM
What is the SIGHTSEEINGs of chiang mai_Thailand? by albanobrito (Morocco) Sunday, April 07, 2013 11:42 AM

Active Discussions

Join the forum, add to the debate and share your travel tips

Toubkal May 2013 by louise.homer (May 2013) Wednesday, May 08, 2013 10:41 AM
Toubkal May 2013 by louise.homer (Walking) Wednesday, May 08, 2013 10:41 AM
Inca Trail 1 - 11 May 2013 by Mol5096 (Walking) Friday, April 26, 2013 08:48 AM
Inca Trail 1 - 11 May 2013 by Mol5096 (May 2013) Friday, April 26, 2013 08:48 AM

Active Users

46704 registered users, 0 users online right now, 708 topics, 3107 posts.