Jump to Navigation
0808 250 7442
Freephone

Inca Trail 23rd May 2012

Welcome Guest, to make a post on the forum you need to login or register.

Hi

Is anyone else booked on the Inca Trail, leaving 23rd May 2012 ? Or if anyone has been and can give me some tips I would love to hear from you !!

Cheers

Hanny

Replies

Hi Hanny

I've booked for that trip along with my friend Chaz. Neither of us have done anything like this before so sorry no tips. Really looking forward to it though and I joined a gym yesterday to get my fitness up!! Are you travelling alone?

Looking forward to meeting you

Lynne

Hi Lynne
Thanks for your reply. Yes, i am travelling alone, so thought it would be good to try and get in touch with a couple of people on here first.
I have never done anything like this either and am very excited about it, and a bit nervous too !!!

Have you guys booked the flights with the Adventure Company? Where abouts in the UK are you travelling from?? I am in Manchester.

Good luck with your gym visits, I find it so hard to get motivated to exercise when the nights are so dark and drizzly ! But i defo feel like i need to up my fitness level to get the most enjoyment out of the Machu Pichu experience.

Cheers
Hanny

Hi Hanny,

I'm doing the Inca trail with my friend Steven. I've not done the Inca trail before but I did Kilimanjaro with the Adventure Company last year, and it was fantastic. A brilliant company to go with. I don't know if the Inca trail is going to be anything like Kilimanjaro, but I might be able to help. :-) What kind of tips did you want?

Samantha

Hi Samantha

Thanks for your reply.

Wow, i bet Kili was amazing !!! I would love to hear all about that whilst we are in Peru I think i would like to do that next, if i manage the Inca Trail. :D

Its good to know that you rate the Adventure Company as being brilliant, you never really know what you are letting yourself in for when you book things on line, and as i am a solo traveller, it makes me feel a little more reasured.

I have never done a big hike like this before, so was just wondering if you had any tips on things to take with me that is not on the kit list which you think is useful, or if you have any advice to make the trip more comfortable.

I have booked a few walks in Snowdon and the Peak Distict with one of our local clubs to try and get a bit of experience. But i think that advice from someone who has already done a big trip like this is invaluable.

Look forward to hearing from you.
Cheers
Hanny

Walking is definitely the best thing to do. I was pretty overweight before I started training for Kili, so I had to join a gym and get my cardio fitness up, but we spent a week in the lake district about 2 weeks before departure, just walking for 8 to 10 hours a day, which was really good practice. Another good thing to do is lots of lunges and squats with light weights to build up your leg muscles.

We found that we couldn't really prepare for the altitude. It effects different people in different ways. We didn't take any drugs for it. The best thing you can do is drink lots of water. The Adventure Company reccommends a day sack big enough to carry 2-3 litres of water, but this time I'm going to take a slightly bigger one, as I found I could drink a lot more. Also take lots of yummy snacks with you, for comfort as well as energy!

Your boots need to be really solid, not flexible. I got a pair of insoles for mine aswell for a bit of extra support. And Compeed blister plasters, if you haven't heard of them before, are an absolute must! They're expensive but so worth it. A nail brush, and a Buff to cover our mouths also came in handy.

The only thing I was really worried about on my first trek was my sleeping bag. I didn't know if I needed a really expensive one or an average one. I spent ages worrying about it, but ended up spending about £160 on one that protects you down to -18 degress C, and I was very warm and comfortable.

It's great that people are contacting each other this time. :) We didn't really have that with our Kili team. If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

Samantha

Hi there

Yes we booked our flights with the Adventure Co and we fly from Heathrow, I actually live in Bromsgrove in Worcester. Are you actually flying from Manchester?

I feel exactly the same as you, excited & nervous but I'm really looking forward to it. I spoke to someone at work who did the Inca Trail in 2010 with the Adventure Co and they said it was absolutely brilliant and that we will fall in love with Peru, its a beautiful place. He said it will be really hot in the day and to take plenty of suncream but then at night it will be freezing and to make sure we take our thermals and to get a really good sleeping bag. I will get some more tips off him and will pass them on as I do.

Good to hear we have got some professionals in our group, Kili does sound amazing and I'm interested in doing that next so it would be good to hear all about it.

Lynne

Hi Lynne

Yes ive booked my flights with them also. I am flying Man-LHR-Madrid-Lima-CUR. I presume that we are all flying this route, so hopefully we will all get a chance to meet up at the airport in london.

Thanks for the info re weather conditions. Looks like we'll have to be prepared for all temps. I managed to pick up a few bargains, incl thermals, at Millets this week. I think they are going bust, along with Blacks, so there are some great deals to be had.

Look forward to hearing any more tips from you.

Hanny :)

Another thing we debated was walking poles. Some people said they would never use them, but they are so useful if walking down scree. I didn't spend a fortune on mine, about £50 or £60 i think they were, but they're still good quality, and I'm glad we did take them in the end.

Hi
Thanks for the info, i will defo get some of those blister plasters!! a few people have mentioned them to me and they sound great!!
I am glad you mentioned the walking poles. I have been debating this piece of equipment. I have never used poles before and wondered how useful they would be. I guess if people are taking them, then its something i may look into.

Its great that we can all have a chat about these things. It makes me all the more excited about the adventure!!! :D
Hanny

Hi Hanny

I did a 100km walk in 2010 and 2011 - and I found walking poles brilliant. They help take some of the impact off your knees (especially on downhills).

I'd never used them before - but about 3 or 4 hours training walks using them should give you the hang of it.

There's a wide range of walking poles. Itchy feet offer a good range (http://www.itchyfeet.com/?ref=3&affiliate_banner_id=3) But cheaper versions are available from other companies such as Go Outdoors. So long as they have shock absorbers/springs in the tips to reduce the jarring in your wrists you should be fine.

Good luck on your trip everyone.

Sean Hughes
Customer Operations Manager

Hi Sean
Thanks so much for your message
Its great to get peoples opinions on different pieces of equipment.
I'll have a look on line at some poles.

Cheers
Hanny

Is anyone doing the Amazon rainforest add on after the Inca trail?? I would love to but don't have enough time off work.

We did the Zanzibar add-on after Kili, it was like heaven after a week of hard trekking!

I would love to do the Amazon extension, but need to get back to the kids and work!! :(

Hi Hanny

Great that you're on the same flights and definitely meet up in London.

I spoke to Matt again who did it a couple of years ago and he couldn't really come up with any tips other than to take some baby wipes for a quick freshen up. He also did the white water rafting before the trail and he said that was brilliant and that the scenery was stunning!!

Have you received a letter from Adventure regarding their Treksmart day courses?

Best regards

Lynne

Baby wipes is a great idea!!

I havent received anything from the company regarding Treksmart day courses. I did have a look at the web page tho, and i prob wont be able to do one. Are you going on one?? Let me know if you gain any good advice from them.

Hanny

Seems we haven't done anything like this before we are thinking of doing one on the 24th Feb to gain as much info as poss. Don't worry I'll pass on all the tips to you.

Lynne

Samantha, thanks for your tips, they're just what we need.

I'm not doing the Amazon trip this time but I have been there on a previous trip to Brasil and it is well worth it.

Hi Lynne and Samantha

I met a girl at the gym last night who said that she had done the Inca Trail with The Adventure Company last year!!!
She said it was amazing, and that we would have a fab time!!

So excited !!! :)

Hanny

Hi Hanny

Its amazing just how many people you come across who have done the Inca Trail when you start telling people that you're doing it. Everyone I have spoken to who's done it have absolutely loved it and it does get you even more excited.

I've booked the Treksmart day for the 25th Feb so hopefully I will be able to pass on loads of useful tips to you.

How's the training going?

Lynne

Hi Lynne

Yes, i didnt know anyone who had done it, and now everyone i meet seems to have either done it, wants to do it, or knows someone who has!!

I wish that i was doing the Treksmart Day, but with work and the kids i cant make it down there. I will be very interested to hear all about it though, and to hear any tips and advice that you will learn.

My training is going slowly at the moment. I have managed to get to the gym afew times, but not as much as i would like to. However, i am going on a long walk up one of the mountains in Snowdonia this weekend, so that will be my first real walking experience and give me an opportunity to try out walking gear.

Hows your training coming along?

Hope you enjoy the Treksmart.

Hanny

Have fun on the treksmart day. i look forward to hearing all the tips and advice that you get from it.

Hanny

Hi Hanny

Sorry its taken so long to reply but I have had computer problems!!

Went on the Treksmart Day and it was interesting but if I'm completely honest regarding tip wise he just reiterated on all the information we have been sent and whats on the website. One thing he did stress was drinking enough water and not to get de-hydrated. Basically you should wee alot, if you're not weeing, you're de-hydrated. Also he said to do the trek at a slow pace and to take small steps and that if you get out of breath, to stop get your breathing back to normal and then start again.

Plenty of suncream, factor 50+ and insect repellant with 30-50% of deet in it. One of the places people burn is the back of their neck so he said to wear a scarf or a hat to protect it. In your day rucksack you should have something warm to put on, something windproof and waterproofs, as well as your water, suncream, sunglasses and any other personal items you would need for the day.

If I think of anything else I will let you. Can you believe it's nearly March and in a couple of months we will actual meet and will be on our way to Peru!!

How did you get on in Snowdonia, did you enjoy it?

Lynne

Hi Lynne

Great to hear from you.

Thanks for all the info, there are some good tips and advice in there that i hadnt really thought about!!
Have you been sent info in the post from them?? I havent received anything!! I think I'll give them a call and check.

I am getting more and more excited as the months go by, and before we know it May will be here and we will be in the airport heading off on our adventure. What made you decide to do Machu Pichcu?? This is my 40th birthday treat to myself. I have wanted to walk the Inca Trail for a really long time, and this seemed like the perfect excuse to do it!! :D

How is your training going?? Have you done many gym visits?? My walk in Snowdonia was fab!! I really enjoyed it, met some lovely people and was a good practice.

I

Hi Hanny

So not only have we got the excitment of doing the Inca Trail, we will also be celebrating your 40th, that's excellent!!! Is it your actual birthday while we're away?

I've always wanted to do the trail but for some reason never looked into doing it, then I got talking to someone who had done it and I thought if they can do it so can I. They told me they booked through the Adventure Co and that was it. I told my friend Chaz and then the next thing we are both booked for the 23rd.

Training is going well, I'm back at the gym and I go walking at the weekends and me and Chaz are planning to do some longer walks in the Peak District and maybe get a couple of weekends in the Lake District. But to be honest after the Treksmart day I'm not worrying so much about it, as long as I can get my fitness levels up I'll be happy. Its the one thing he stessed was the slower the trek the better and to just enjoy it and at the end of the day we can all keep each other going.

Glad you enjoyed Snowdonia, that must have been good practice, have you got any plans to do anymore?

Hi
Whilst i dont actually turn 40 while we are on the inca trail (its just after we get back), its a good excuse to have a bday drink at the top of Machu Picchu, i think!!

Sounds like your training is going well. I have hardly done anything lately (and im really feeling it!!) There are some lovely walks in the Peak District and Lakes. I have booked to do a few walks in the Peaks with largeoutdoors.com my next one is next sun 18th which im really looking forward to.

Its nice that the days are getting lighter and longer, and warming up. At least it makes you feel like getting up and doing something.

Hanny

Hi guys, i did this trek a couple of years ago with the adventure company and it was amazing. You can't take much on the trail as there is a strict weight limit for the porters. You will be given a small bag to put your gear in for the trek and it will be weighed. The rest of your stuff stays in Cusco for your return.The porters feed you well on the trip so you will not go hungry. They will wake you with a cup of tea or coffee in your tent and a bowl of hot water to freshen up with. I went at the end of April and it was really hot during the day and freezing cold at night. Take walking poles if you can as they are really useful when going downhill with tired legs and the steps can be a bit slippery. Take regular breaks as it is hard work, but your guide allows loads of time so there is no rush. Peru is a lovely place.The views from the campsites get better every day.Standing at the Sun Gate looking down on Machu Picchu after all your hard work is just brilliant! :)

Adell

Hi Adell

Thanks for your message, its great to hear from other people who have done this trip and to get all their advice and tips. And to hear how amazing the views are is getting me very excited :D

Are you doing another trek this year?

Hanny

Hi Hanny
glad to be of some help. yes im climbing Kilimanjaro in May. Getting really excited now and cant wait to get going!
Trekked to Everest base camp last year. that was a brilliant trip and im hoping to get back to Nepal as soon as possible.
Enjoy your trek :)

Adell

Thanks Adell

Good luck with your Kili trip :D

Hanny

Hi Everyone

Wow, only 8 weeks to go. Hope you are all as excited as me.

I have, however, had a horrible week. After having an accident last weds, i have torn my ligaments in my knee again (snapped my acl about 10 yrs ago), my knee swelled to double its size and was painful to walk on.
I have spent the last week in turmoil wondering whether i should cancel my adventure or not. I was gutted that i may have to cancel and have been a right moody git for the past week.
Anyway, i have decided that i am gonna do a gym plan to stregthen my leg muscles, buy some poles to help take some pressure of my knees on the walk, and take some knee supports and plenty of ibroprofen with me.

i am pretty confident that after 8weeks it should be fine.

Hope all your training is going well, at least the days are getting longer, lighter and warmer which is lovely, and inspires us to get out and about a bit more.

Hanny :)

Hi Hanny

I'm so sorry to hear about your injury.

It might be worth having a chat with your GP - as much as we would love to see you on the Inca Trail - it's not worth permanently damaging yourself for (a friend of mine still has walking issues 2 years later after pushing herself too hard on a 100km walk we were doing).

If your GP says that the Inca Trail is not suitable for you, you should be able to make a travel insurance claim for the cancellation.

Hopefully the GP will just send you to the gym/physio though!

Good luck, and fingers cross for you.

Sean

Hi Sean

I have been to see my GP and he believes that my knee will be fine by the time we go on the trip. He is seeing me again in 3 weeks time to check my progress.

I did phone the Adventure Company to tell them my situation. They said that i needed to decide by the 24th (this sat) whether i was gonna cancel the booking, and just loose my £200 deposit, or wait until nearer the time and incur much higher cancellation charges. Which unfortunately put me under alot more pressure to make a decision fast.

Obviously if i am still hobbling around in May then i will have to pull out, but i will be very disappointed to not only fogoe the trip, but to loose alot of money at the same time.

Hopefully everything will be all healed by then
:D

Hi Hanny

I can't believe your news about your knee, i really feel for you.

How is it feeling now? i take it all you can do is rest it.

I will my fingers crossed for you.

Lynne

Thanks Lynne

Its feeling alot better already. Im going to give it another week for the swelling to go down and then im going to start at the gym to build up the leg muscles to keep the knee strong. Im pretty confident that it will be fine.

How is your training coming along? Have you been on any nice walks?

Hanny

That's good to hear, I really hope your knee doesn't stop you doing it.

I've been making the most of the good weather and getting out and walking and I'm planning on doing Snowdon later this month.

I've also had a look at largeoutdoors.com, which you mentioned above and I think thats a great site. I'm thinking of doing a 14 mile walk in the Peak District on the 5th May and Scafell Pike in the Lakes on the 12th.

Have you got all your gear now, or are you waiting till nearer the time?

Lynne

Hi Everyone

I have had to cancel this trip coz of my stupid knee injury. i am really gutted over it, but i wish you all a very happy and safe journey. Ill be thinking of you.
Hanny x

Hi Hanny

I feel gutted for you!! I really hope your knee gets better soon and that you are able to do this trip as soon as you can.

Enjoy your birthday.

Lynne

Thanks Lynne

Let me know all about the trip once your back.

Hanny

Newest Discussions

Recent posts and what you’re talking about right now

Spirit of the Incas - August 2013 by rachhs (2013) Monday, April 08, 2013 12:43 PM
October 2013 by Gramps (2013) Sunday, April 07, 2013 03:02 PM
October 2013 by Gramps (2013) Sunday, April 07, 2013 03:01 PM
What is the SIGHTSEEINGs of chiang mai_Thailand? by albanobrito (Morocco) Sunday, April 07, 2013 10:42 AM

Active Discussions

Join the forum, add to the debate and share your travel tips

Toubkal May 2013 by louise.homer (Walking) Wednesday, May 08, 2013 09:41 AM
Toubkal May 2013 by louise.homer (May 2013) Wednesday, May 08, 2013 09:41 AM
Inca Trail 1 - 11 May 2013 by Mol5096 (Walking) Friday, April 26, 2013 07:48 AM
Inca Trail 1 - 11 May 2013 by Mol5096 (May 2013) Friday, April 26, 2013 07:48 AM

Active Users

48395 registered users, 0 users online right now, 708 topics, 3107 posts.