Jump to Navigation
0808 250 7442
Freephone

everest base camp 1st april 2011

Welcome Guest, to make a post on the forum you need to login or register.

Hello fellow everest trekers !! im Dan soo its not to long to go, so i thought id see if i can get in touch with some of the people i will be treking with . so if your traveling on the 1st of april please post back

much love.. Dan

Replies

Hi Dan,

I'm also going on the 1st April trip. Really looking forward to it! It's good to know someone else who's going too.

Louisa

yea should be good, you done anything like this before ??

dan

Well I've never been on holiday or travelling on my own before, so that'll be a novelty! But I've done a bit of trekking...
A few years ago I did a 3 day Hill tribe trek in Thailand which was pretty amazing, but a couple years ago I climbed Mount Kinabalu in Borneo which was about 4100m. That was 2 days solid of walking up steep steps.. and it hurt! But completely worth it.
But none of this comes close to the 12 days trek to EBC.. so I need to get to the gym a bit more! And buy the all the right gear!

Have you done anything like this before?

Louisa

sounds good you got a bit of treking know how then so thats ok . nope never been traveling, and only trekd in the lake district how did you find the alt sickness at 4100 think ebc is 5000 + ?? thats all im worried about really is getting sick and not being able to finish the trip !!

dan

Umm, I had a bit of difficulty sleeping, but other than that I was fine I think. Can't remember anyone else having any effects either. I'm sure you'll be fine... we're taking each stage fairly slow, so we'll be able to adjust ok.
What I'm worrying about is whether we need Malaria tablets! I haven't been to the docs yet though to find out. Have you had any advice on this yet?

Louisa

hope so would hate not being able to finish . A few of my friends went last year and they didnt need them, they didnt get any vaccinations any they were fine!! but i might get malaria tablets just in case ..

Brilliant, I just found some info that says we don't need malaria tablets :)

Airport that should say !

Hmm didn't seem to want to post the message before that one, think I said .. how much stuff you taking as in change of clothes etc ? sorry about all the questions all the info I've read say to take different things ! Don't want to turn up at the airport looking like I don't know what I'm.doing !!

Same dilemma as I'm having at the moment actually! In the end I think it'll be down to how much I can fit in my rucksack without going over the limit!
I'll probably take a couple of fleeces, waterproof jacket, 3 trousers, maybe one waterproof trouser cover. Think thermal underwear might be a good idea! Don't know whether to take a down jacket too for the evenings... :s

Are you taking a main bag and than a walking bag ? Yea all the things I've read say lots of layers. And friends who went in April last year said the nights were soo cold .. think they only change twice the whole trip! Soon find out not long to go, most excited indeed !

Only twice the whole trip!!? Slightly worrying lol! Yep I'm taking my main backpack and then my day bag.
Thanks for that... will def buy a down jacket before I go then... I've heard you can get cheap ones in Decathlon, so that's where I'm heading!
Can't wait!

yea only twice might smell abit after a while !! girlfriend works for mountain warehouse she says to get anything with merino wool in it ! and thousand mile socks

Ooo.. good tips thanks!
What are you doing about money? Do you know how much you're taking and also are you taking cash into the country? Sterling??
I know I'm taking some dollars for the visa, but otherwise I'm not really sure yet.

not sure about money think im gunna take a bit of each uk dollars and nupees !! site says uk pounds is best to take............. 6 weeks to go !!

Hi there
You won't be able to take Rupees as these can't be got outside Nepal.
Never the less enjoy your holiday.

Hi guys I'm going before you and have just tried packing my bag. The weight guide is 10kg for your main bag and though your sleeping bags might be lighter than mine cos I'm allergic to down 10kg doesnt give a change of anything except underwear and something to sleep in plus some medecines / toiletries and one book. I have also put in light weight trousers and top for travelling home in.Anything else you want you'll be carrying in your day pack. Friends of mine who did a 3 week trip in oct/nov said they only changed underwear.
Hope this helps.
Diana

hiya thanks for the message .. is that 10kg in the main and the same for the day pack !! or 10kg split over the two bags so 5kg in each !!!

dan

Thats 10kg in the bag the porters carry and your day pack is extra so I'm planning to put some other stuff in there. But friends have said as I haven't walked at altitude before to try and keep it reasonably light.
Still tweaking it all !
Diana

hi Diana,

Thanks for the tip. I just read over the trip notes and basically the porters can carry up to 25kg. They say some airlines have a 20kg limit. They only recommend 10kg because you'll be carrying it occasionally, but if you can handle 20kg then go for that.
Personally I can't cope for 18 days wearing one set of clothes so think I'll prob be carrying heavier than 10kg!! ;)

Hi there,

I did this trek last year and the max recommended weight for the trek is 13kg as the porters usually carry 2 people's bags. You can leave anything you don't need on the trek at the hotel in Kathmandu.

Jackie

Cheers for the tips think ill take as much as I can and then leave some stuff in the hotel ! Is rather go light tho make the walking as easy as possible, any tips for altitude sickness or sleeping at night which I hear is a bit harsh ! X

I was relatively lucky and didn't suffer too badly from the altitude other than being a bit more tired and feeling light-headed and having a bit of a headache. The guides recommend taking 'baby steps' when walking and you get plently of rest stops. Make sure you drink enough water. I wished that I'd taken a camelback or similar because it became a pain having to get my water bottle in and out of my rucksack pocket all the time, especially when tired!! The day you go to Basecamp and Kala Pattar it's very cold so it's difficult to keep your water from freezing. Garlic soup is also supposed to be good to protect against altitude sickness and it's not as bad tasting as you might think!! It gets difficult to sleep the higher up you go plus the walls in the tea houses are pretty thin. I had my ipod with me and used to listen to that which helped, some of the others had earplugs. You'll have a fantastic time. It's an amazing experience. I'm actually going back in April to do the Annapurna Circuit trek.

Cheers mate very excited . What was the food in the tea houses like ?

The food was actually not bad. I played it safe on the way up as I was a bit paranoid about getting ill. Stuck to rice, noodles, chips and soups. Went for the Yak Sizzler on the way back through Namche though-fantastic and the bakery in Tengboche has a massive variety of cakes!!

Jackie

Ooo Yak Sizzler! Think I might play it safe on the way up too...
Is it best to take pounds or dollars into the country? I heard you're not able to get hold of the local currency outside the country, is that correct?
So good to hear you had an amazing time, I can't wait! :)

I took pounds and changed them at the hotel in Kathmandu as the exhange rate was pretty similar to that at the banks. You can't get the currency before you go. Some of the others on the trip had dollar or a mix of the two. Once you leave Kathmandu there's not many other places you can change money-you can at Lukla and we were told an ATM was coming to Namche but I'm not sure if that's arrived yet. You can change money back at the airport on the way out.

yak sizzler sounds tasty , im up for a bit of yak .. when in rome and all that !!

Hey guys, I did the EBC Goyko trek in October there and I found taking some melatonin before I went to sleep was a great way of staying asleep. As for the altitude, drinking plenty of water and going at your pace. I used a heart rate monitor to help me with this. You will also know once you start walking and you will find your position in the group.

The food was great but I advise to stick to what the locals eat at least until yer on your way back down from base camp. I was fine on the veg curries and dal bhat but when I tried something western (spagnetti), I had a 24 hour dose of food poisoning.

I had a brilliant time and would love to go back but I think Kili is next on my to do list. Enjoy...

Do we get sent bording passes or do we pick them up at airport ? ?

Hey, you'll get sent the joining information a couple of weeks before you go. I think it was an e-ticket/confirmation number rather than an actual ticket. You also get some bright red luggage labels!!

cool yea got all that today excting stuff , and visas you can get at kathmandu airport ??

Newest Discussions

Recent posts and what you’re talking about right now

Spirit of the Incas - August 2013 by rachhs (2013) Monday, April 08, 2013 01:43 PM
October 2013 by Gramps (2013) Sunday, April 07, 2013 04:02 PM
October 2013 by Gramps (2013) Sunday, April 07, 2013 04:01 PM
What is the SIGHTSEEINGs of chiang mai_Thailand? by albanobrito (Morocco) Sunday, April 07, 2013 11:42 AM

Active Discussions

Join the forum, add to the debate and share your travel tips

Toubkal May 2013 by louise.homer (Walking) Wednesday, May 08, 2013 10:41 AM
Toubkal May 2013 by louise.homer (May 2013) Wednesday, May 08, 2013 10:41 AM
Inca Trail 1 - 11 May 2013 by Mol5096 (May 2013) Friday, April 26, 2013 08:48 AM
Inca Trail 1 - 11 May 2013 by Mol5096 (Walking) Friday, April 26, 2013 08:48 AM

Active Users

47218 registered users, 0 users online right now, 708 topics, 3107 posts.