Jump to Navigation
0808 250 7442
Freephone

Everest Base Camp 18 April 2011

Welcome Guest, to make a post on the forum you need to login or register.

Hi

My brother and I have just booked this trip - is any-one else doing this trip.

Just trying to get our heads around the kit list!!!

Simone

Replies

ha ive just booked this trip.never been on anything like this before.realy looking forward to it.by reading some of the reviews the secret seems to be to travel lite and buy anything you need out there cos its so cheap.have a few friends who have done this trip and they would say the same..

Hey nigel,
Also on the trip (Simone's brother). Can;t quite believe we're going, only 7 or so weeks now!!
Can;t wait

How much of the stuff you thinking of getting out there? Boots i'm taking with, although read somewhere some people hire them, thinking I wouldn't want any surprises., I'm thinking maybe sleeping bag and down jacket might be worth getting out there.

hi james

that post from aliyates sort of says it all.i will probably rent a sleeping bag out there and carry the kind of gear he says. from what i can see its travel light and just put on layers as you need to. have you guys got your visas or re you planning to get them at the airport when you get there....whoop whoop not long to go now...you doing much training????? lol

Hi Guys,

Just to let you know I did this trip last year and loved it! Just a few notes you can buy quite a lot when you get their when you first arrive before you start the treck and you can get some good deals in Kathmandu. I would say though to take all your essentials with you especially your boots, and you need to have the broken in cause your gona be spending most of your time with them on your feet!!! :)

You really only have 10kg of weight for luggage to take with you so keep your kit list simple that includes your sleeping bags. You need very little and youll find that as you go through the treck you just add layers on your body the further up you go :). I think in total I used on my trip two pairs of pants (that where zip offs into shorts for the lower sections), 2 long sleve tops and 2 t shirts, 1 fleece, 1 water proof jacket, 1 water proof trouser and your down jacket. Gloves 2 pairs and something for your head. and to be fair I dont think I used all that, the further up you get the colder and tierd you get and you cant be bothered changing. Dont worry everyone is the same you all just get use to the smell, esp as you may get if your luck and can be bothered 3 showers on the trip! Some people dont even bother:)

Its a fab trip and your gona love it youll never experience anything like it in your lives!!!! :)

Hi everyone,

Myself and my friend John have just booked this trip, looking forward to it just 6 weeks now, never done anything like this before other than Munro Bagging in the Scottish Highlands and I ski in the Alps. Oh and a little walking in the Canadian Rockies last year but nothing near this altitude!

Edward

p.s.
We are NOT Jedward!

Hey Edward...and John

Can you believe its only 6 weeks to go.
I'm just in panic mode about my fitness - bought a stepper but then lost a week trying to build the dam thing!!!!

Simone

Hi

Can anyone advise on facilities to charge batteries....or should I invest in a solar charger?

Thanks

Simone

Hey, the teahouses have sockets to charge batteries/electronics etc at the counter and at a cost. The places we stayed in Namche and Lukla had sockets in the rooms so you can charge there although by the time you stay in Lukla you will be done walking. I dont remember the cost as I had a solar charger myself. I cant imagine though it was more than a 100 rupees for an hour of charging time. Someone who paid for charging will know better though...

D

Does anyone know if we can leave kit in the hotel in Kathmandu while we are trekking?

Thanks

Simone

Hi I have just come back from this trip and these are the things I wished I had known before I went.
The weight limit for the porters to carry is 15 kg
I would have taken far more food for snacks.
It is easy to charge stuff up along the way 100 to 200 rupees for an hour at reception but the power is dodgy so if your battery gets completely flat as I did it wont always restart it.
There is plenty of mobile phone reception but unlock your phone before you go.
You can leave a bag in Kathmandu so you can take cool clothes to wear there.
I didnt take enough tissues - more useful than toilet paper though you can buy stuff along the way.
The queue for the visas is enormous at the airport and I was tired after the flight so wish I had got it before hand
You need £30 in rupees for the porters/guides on the trek and another £30 in rupees for your trip guide.
There are plenty of cash points that work in kathmandu,lukla and namche but make sure you tell your bank before you go.
the food on the trek is very reasonable but you need at least £6 to £10 more per day than the adventure company guide lines to buy hot drinks to counteract altitude sickness and pay for meals at the upper teahouses..Everyone in my group ran out of money and was borrowing it off the guide!
you can buy a bowl of hotwater everywhere to wash in if you want to or if you have bought a pot of hot water(thermos flask) you can take it back to your room and use it for hot drinks overnight and to have a wash in the morning.
The local company used doesnt let you use diamox just ibruprofen for altitude sickness and if they catch you taking diamox threaten to take you back down the mountain as they say they are not medically qualified to supervise its use.I personally found this very hard and suffered badly from headaches and breathlessness but to be fair most people in my group didnt and we all made base camp.
Hope this information will help you have a great holiday

Thanks for that feedback Diana, it will be very helpful. More money, tissues and snacks - got the message. Can I ask what the teahouses are like? Everyone feel free to add me to your facebook friends, Simone, I think I saw your profile, but I couldn't uniquely identify anyone else.

Yes thanks for the tips Diana. How cold was it at night - Would a down vest be a good idea - if so is it easy to get one in Kathmandu?

S

Hi you can buy anything you need cheaply in kathmandu but you dont get alot of time as there is a long and very good site seeing trip on the sunday at the end of which you are taken to an area with shops and a currency exchange place( where the rate was very good.)The quality of stuff people bought did seem to vary from very good to some trousers which just fell apart so I guess it is buyer beware and be prepared to haggle hard, you should be looking for 25% to 30% off.
In terms of night time temperature I guess it could vary as you are going later than me but it did get down to minus 20 (minus 26 on kalapatthar) at the coldest so in the beginning I was just sleeping in one set of thermals and by the end I was in several layers. Also the dining/ sitting areas were all pretty cold so we were eating dinner in down jackets,hats and gloves to keep warm.You can buy extra stuff in Namche - on the first acclimatisation day and some guys in our group got very good deals there.
The tea houses varied enormously from ones with ensuite facilities (Namche and lukla) to ones with no lights, no water and massive gaps in the windows,But there is no running hot water anywhere unless you request and pay for it.The rooms have two beds in but nothing else.They all supplied pillows( and blankets if you asked for them). The food was mostly pretty good .Nobody had upset stomachs which was great.Anything else you want to know just ask.
Diana

Hello all,

I've just booked the trip a week ago and I'm on a different flight to the rest of you. I go via Muscat in Oman so I'll probably meet you at the hotel. What time is your take off from Heathrow and landing at Kathmandu? You should be able to spot each other at the check-in by the red luggage tags that Adventures will send you and you may have seats booked in a block.

See you there,

Robin

Hi Robin
My brother - James and I are on a different flight as well. We go via Bahrain leaving Heathrow on the 18 at 20.25 and arriving in Kathmandu on the 19 at 1705, let us know when your flights are and we can arrange to meet up

Simone

Hi Simone,

I leave Heathrow at 2235 on the 18th (terminal 3, Oman Air) and arrive in Kat at 1705 same as you do so I guess we'll meet in arrivals, or the in queue for visas most probably. I thought I would be on my own at the other end so it's good to know you two will be there as well. Just look out for those red luggage labels!

Regards,
Robin

Hi everyone,

Myself and John are on a different flight again, via Delhi, arriving in Kat at 1445 hrs. Red tags have arrived. Staying at the Tibet Hotel in Kat rated 10 out of 103 (Tripadvisor). See you all soon.

Edward

Hi Everyone,

My partner, Anita and I are on the trip leaving monday, cant believe how quickly it's come round, I did Kilimanjaro a couple of years ago with Adventure company and had a great time, I've had mixed views on whether or not an inflatable matress is useful in the teahouses and woudl love ot hear fomr anyone who knows for sure, I have a lightweight one but its not self inflating and i'm concerned about needing all that puff at altitude! :-) Looking forward to meeting you all at LHR or Kathmandu Colin

Newest Discussions

Recent posts and what you’re talking about right now

Spirit of the Incas - August 2013 by rachhs (2013) Monday, April 08, 2013 01:43 PM
October 2013 by Gramps (2013) Sunday, April 07, 2013 04:02 PM
October 2013 by Gramps (2013) Sunday, April 07, 2013 04:01 PM
What is the SIGHTSEEINGs of chiang mai_Thailand? by albanobrito (Morocco) Sunday, April 07, 2013 11:42 AM

Active Discussions

Join the forum, add to the debate and share your travel tips

Toubkal May 2013 by louise.homer (Walking) Wednesday, May 08, 2013 10:41 AM
Toubkal May 2013 by louise.homer (May 2013) Wednesday, May 08, 2013 10:41 AM
Inca Trail 1 - 11 May 2013 by Mol5096 (May 2013) Friday, April 26, 2013 08:48 AM
Inca Trail 1 - 11 May 2013 by Mol5096 (Walking) Friday, April 26, 2013 08:48 AM

Active Users

47335 registered users, 0 users online right now, 708 topics, 3107 posts.