Jump to Navigation
0808 250 7442
Freephone

Everest Base Camp 14/09/12

Welcome Guest, to make a post on the forum you need to login or register.

Hey guys, just wondering if there is anyone else out there going on this trip? I'm a solo traveller so I'm a bit nervous, but so excited!

Liz

Replies

Hi Liz.
Myself and a friend (ritchie) are also booked on the trip, really looking forward to it, but not sure what the weather will be like and what to take(any tips).

Nige

Hey Nige (and Ritchie). There's a really good list of things to take in the trip notes, I'm just sticking to that. I've still got quite a lot of equipment left on my shopping list though! Have you done anything like this before?

Liz

Hi Liz

No this is a first for me, what about you? have you been doing any training?

Nige

This is a first for me as well. I've been getting into the hills for practice when I can, I live in Aberdeen so they're not too far away. Mostly, I've just been trying to tire myself out at the gym 3 times a week and hoping for the best in September! What about you?

Not that long to go now, only a little over two months :) Need to get injections sorted out soon - not looking forward to that at all!

Liz

I'm doing a bit of training nothing much. Just hopeing the altitude doesn't affect me.

luckly i'm all up to date with the vacinations so i won't end up looking like a pin cushion.

are you getting your visa at the airport or before you travel?

Nige

I was planning on just getting my visa on arrival as it seems pretty straightforward. Never really thought about getting it beforehand actually. Do you think it would be easier applying for it now? Hm.. might do that actually.

Still need to sort out insurance too - did you go with the Adventure Company for that? I think it's £105 for this trip, but I'm useless with this sort of thing so I have no idea if that's good value or not.

I think i'll get the visa on arrival, as you say it seems pretty straight forward and it will add to the experience!!

Not sure on the insurance, I have travel insurance with my bank, not sure if it covers me for this. I better read the small print.

I can't believe there is only 40 days to go. Time has flown by! Just trying to get the last few bits and bobs ready now. Just wondering, are you taking spending money in GBP? Some people in other forums have said they took it all in dollars as they're also readily accepted. I'm thinking I'll just take it all in pounds then change it at the hotel?

Away to summit Ben MacDui tomorrow. I did Nevis a few weeks ago and was absolutely knackered on the way down so hopefully I'll fare better this time. Trying to break in these new boots! How are you guys getting on with your training? Feeling confident?

Liz

Hi All,

Just booked on to this trip last min, heading to London from Switzerland for the flight (anyone need a ride?). I'm heading out a bit early to see the sights of Kathmandu, is anyone else doing this?

See you all very soon i guess!

Rich

Hi Liz
Not long to go now, i think i'm ready. I did 3 peaks in 7 hrs all upto 600m and felt ok. how did your trek up Ben Macdui go?

I'm taking dollars with me, not sure how much i will need but i can always get out money out in Kathmandu if required. My Bank travel insurance only covered me upto 5450m so i had to get extra cover but i found it cheaper than advertised on this site.

Rich
I'm heading out on the 14th so i will only get 1 full day in kathmandu, not looking forward to the flight.

see you in kathmandu

Nige

Only 7 hours? Wow. I'm still quite slow when trekking, but I get there in the end. Ben MacDui was dreadful... the Scottish weather threw everything it had at me! Just came back from Lochnagar yesterday and did really well so I'm feeling a bit more confident now.

Yep, I'm heading out on the 14th too so I guess we will meet up at Heathrow? I'm flying in from Aberdeen.

Will see you in Kathmandu, Rich! Apparently there's only 7 booked so far, so we will be a small group.

Liz

Thanks Liz and Nige, good news on small group then. See you both in Kathmandu!!

Rich

Newest Discussions

Recent posts and what you’re talking about right now

Spirit of the Incas - August 2013 by rachhs (2013) Monday, April 08, 2013 01:43 PM
October 2013 by Gramps (2013) Sunday, April 07, 2013 04:02 PM
October 2013 by Gramps (2013) Sunday, April 07, 2013 04:01 PM
What is the SIGHTSEEINGs of chiang mai_Thailand? by albanobrito (Morocco) Sunday, April 07, 2013 11:42 AM

Active Discussions

Join the forum, add to the debate and share your travel tips

Toubkal May 2013 by louise.homer (May 2013) Wednesday, May 08, 2013 10:41 AM
Toubkal May 2013 by louise.homer (Walking) Wednesday, May 08, 2013 10:41 AM
Inca Trail 1 - 11 May 2013 by Mol5096 (Walking) Friday, April 26, 2013 08:48 AM
Inca Trail 1 - 11 May 2013 by Mol5096 (May 2013) Friday, April 26, 2013 08:48 AM

Active Users

45146 registered users, 0 users online right now, 708 topics, 3107 posts.