Jump to Navigation
0808 250 7442
Freephone

Cambodian Traveller Trip September 2012

Welcome Guest, to make a post on the forum you need to login or register.

Hey anyone going on the Cambodian Traveller trip in Sept give me a shout its my first trip alone and would love to get to know anyone booked on it prior to D-Day!

Replies

Hey there,

Yep, I am.. what date are going on? I'm going on the 20th- excited!

Hi Katy,

I am going on the 6th Sept, bit terrified as this is my first one on my own ;( Have you done anything like this before?

Karen

Hey Karen

Ahh thats ashame we aren't going on the same date...

I know its really easy for me to say, but please try not to be terrified!
This trip in sept will be my fourth one with the Adventure Company... In 2009 I went to Tanzania and done a safari and pitched pur own tents amongst the wild!, 2010 I travelled round Morocco for 2 weeks , last year I was in Kenya for another Safari but we stayed in proper campsites and was like glamping!!!

I'm not a confident person , sounds abit daft after doing all of this I know! I was the same as you, terrified but I knew it was something I also wanted to do, but what trip to go on I didn't know.. anyway When I decided to go on the Tanz and booked it, it seemed soo real and no turning back.. I then descovered the Adventure C have a page on facebook, so I had written a little post, a couple of people got in contact, met at heathrow and I knew instantly we were all going toget on.. it was like we had known eachother for years, it was great! So my little fear was over.. then when we got to Tanzania we were transfred to a lodge for a night only to descover I was going to meet some more peeps! they had climbed kilimajaro and the safari was their extention.. I was shaking and I dont know why because they are also awesome people and we alll got so well!

I keep in touch will alot of the people I have been away with, but I think us Tanz peeps will be hard to seperate!!!! :-)
I still get a little nervous and then worry that people may not like me, but I know thats my paranoia setting in.. So if your on face book ' like' the adventure comapny page and write on their wall aswell as this forum as you may have more chance of getting in contact.. also, seeings we are going with intrepid ' like' their page aswell and see if anybody pops up on there

I hope I have helped you a little xx

Hi Katy,

Yes its a shame we arent on the same dates but am sure I will survive :0) I went to Kenya also last year for my 40th birthday treat to myself with 2 friends and went on a safari glaming as you do! Loved it! I was going to ask your advice on visas as ive gota get two one for Nam and one for Cambodia, now it says you can either get them when you are at the borders at approx $20-25 dollars each or go through their online links to Travelcour which seems dearer to do? What would you suggest?

Karen

Hey,
Awesome Birthday treat! gotta love abit of glamping! we had bucket showers at last camp, was awesome! Al htese trips are gong waaaay to fast for my like though :-(
When we went to Tanz, we shared tents and our luggage pressed up to our faces.. wasnt the easiest of times trying to get some sleep! At night we had all sorts of animals goingp ast was amazing.. I remeber at last camp we got up on our last morning and the sun was rising and we could hear elephants in the backround and were close to us.. and some morningd we have brekkie with gazilles bouncing past!!! :-)

As for visas, yes it def is a little cheaper to get them on the day although I have never done it as I just pay a little more and go through Travcour as it I noticed last year and the past other trips there were massive queues to get one and I and the rest of the group had been hanging around for ages with our guide waiting for others.. however, may not be long queues this year , so if you wanna go cheaper maybe it would be worth the risk and see what its like on the day!

Youv'e reminded me to get it sorted, wanna do it soon otherwisse I'll send myself in a panic!!

Katy

Tanz sounded amazing too, we also had all sorts coming through at night as we stopped at a site with no protective fencing so everything just came through which was excellent! Also the camp was protected by masi warriors which I got a good photo of and told my dad this was my new hubby which nearly gave him a breakdown he he. Ive been looking on the embassy sites for Nam and Cambodia and am still undecided what to do, to be honest it was a headached last year in Kenya in a que and to be honest when its that hot you dont want to hang about.I am also unsure of how much money to take with me, will get US Dollars I think. So whereabouts are you from? I'm in Bristol.

Lol your nuts- but in a good way of course !!! ;-)

The way to try and work out how much you money roughly need to take is work out the food per day.. theres a list on the page and add a little extra for snacks for all the long travelling!
Also need to tip the guide. All the trips I have been on our group puts in our money at the end of the trip then hand it to the guide.. so, we end to wor it as £20-25 pos 30 per person depending how many is in your group

I'm going to take dollars when I go on my trip as it saves faffing about with all htere currancey and Dollars are dead easy!!!

I love Bristol, I could quite easily move there! And I'm from Hampshire :-)

Hiya Katy,

Ok its driving me mad, how do you add your trip into Intrepids website as ive tried adding one on and it doesnt seem to be there! ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHH!!

Kaz

Hi kaz,

I know what you mean, it took me like a 100 attempts to get on it then finally done it! For some strange reason my laptop wouldn't let me do it, used another pc and done it straight away.. strange!!

I was also having a blonde moment ( even though I'm nor blonde) and on the adventure site it tells you the day you leave, then it occured to me that when you go to put in the date in intrepids page, you put in the date you arrive in asia - in the ' meet others' bit

Sounds daft, but maybe you should also try doing it on another pc aswell and see what happens

Katy

Hey Kaz, Sooo then, how was the trip?

Hi Katy,

I havent been yet its the 6th Sept

oh oops! have you found anybody that si going on the same date? I haven't , and I think I could be meeting them when I get there, so will be flying on my own!!

I'm so stuck on the money side of things .. you'll have to let me know how you got on, seeings your first time away and what the people you will be with were like etc..

Well theres no one going from the Adv Co, I asked Customer Services online was anyone else going as I was starting to sweat a bit and they checked with Intrepid and there are 7 including me which was a relief, two couples in there 50-60s and a lass in her 20s and a lass in her 50s which is cool. Not sure whether I will bump into them at the airport or at the other end though so still a tad stressed! Just hope there is someone the other end with a massive sign saying Intrepid on it so i dont miss it !!

Oh, you'll be fine. I know it's easy for me to say as this will be my fourth trip and it's your first, but you really will be ok , so don't stress it! I got all my bits through the post today- woohooo! was reading through it and got to look out for either a adventure company sign or the Intrepid. I've never gone with intrepid before and have always got incontact with atleast one person before hand via AC's page on Facebook, so its a first for me not knowing who I'll be with, but proper excited.
Ac are a really good company. If you decide to go away again. you will get a clothes voucher and from the 3rd trip onwards you'll get a £100 off your trips.
I also saw the other week that intrepid are up for a travel award, so you picked a good trip to go on!

This is all coming from a person who went to Tanzania in 2009, went camping amongst the wild .. I was terrified at the thought of Jetting off with aload of people I have never met in my life. I bumped into some of them at Heathrow as I was waiting to check in, and I don't know what I was worried about, awesome bunch of people.. talking as if we knew eachother for years. Got to Tanz to find we were yet to meet more who had climed Kili and hte Safari was their extention.. again ,fab people! Same goes for Morocco and Kenya. I Then was asked by the Adventure C, march this year to write a artical for them to try and inspire people to go on their own, and I'm still waiting to hear if I have made it in the telegraph, and AC have classed me as a ambassador! It's all madew my year!! :) I'm still close to the Tanz people, but sadly we have never met up again since then :( But I have with a couple of peeps from Morocco and I'm going to see one of them again when I return from this trip.. and I met up with one of the girls from Kenya a couple of weeks ago

Will be ok once ive checked in at Heathrow i think ;( I take it this e-ticket thing you just line up with everyone else to check in and hand your passport over and quote the e-ticket code off your paperwork and they print the tickets off there and then or am I supposed to print them off myself in the airport prior to checking in????

if my memory serves me right, when you go to line up with everyone else and you end up at the front there's a little machine that scans the e-ticket then you walk on to check in your luggage. there should be somebody standing by it to help, as i did a little fluff up last year and walked straight passed it and didn't realise the ticket had to go through first.

did you send off for both visas or getting them both when your there?

What e-ticket all I have is a code???

Got Vietnam visa from the embassy and was told to get the Cambodian one when you hit the border

the e-ticket is the picece of paper that has all the flight times on it, or should have on it

so, how did you get on? you have a great bunch of people?

Was ok dont think I would go there again though the guide was a bit flat about Cambodia really. As for the people well cos I was the only person from the adventure company there was on two Brits on it! The rest were from Oz oh and one from the States so its not as if I can afford to pop over there. The other British lady was a neurotic pain the ass so needless to say I have no intentions of staying in touch with her either. I made jmy own way to Nam as everyone else was the other side of the world already which to be honest has boosted my confidence in travelling on my own so that was good.

How did you find it?

Oh, that's ashame but like you say, its boosted your confidance in flying on your own so that's a start and to do the connection flight aswell to vietnam, thats actually a big deal for the first time.. but hey, now you know its not all that hard finding your way round the air ports!! how come the woman was a pain in the ass?? theres always one that likes to spoil it for everyone!!
I hope it hasn't put you off from plucking up the courage to go on another trip.. if you fancy going away again and don't wanna go with Intrepid, Just ask AC if a trip is actually with them then you'll be lumped with aload of brits!!

I came back a couple of weeks ago and had the complete opposite to you.. we had a right laugh!! I was also with Aussie's, two newzaland girls and a couple from manchester and it was part of their honeymoon! that night in vietnam I was brought dinner and god knows how many drinks by some of the Aussies, I couldn't believe and still cant.. was not a day when we didnt laugh.. we pubbed it and clubed it most nights and our guide is Awesome.. hes so funny!! and guess what I pulled lol yes I pulled my guide!! He confessed at the end of the trip! whish he said something before as hes really quite hot lol

I know what you mean about everybody living so far away, ashame innit, but we became so close and keeping in touch through FB. The other down side is that I'm still recovering from flu like symptoms i must of caught on the last few days out there. I had wondered how you were getting on whilst you were away!

Well never mind I will learn for the next time although I will have to watch my pennies now. The pain in the ass Brit came from the Nam tour with some of the Aussies who were already moaning about her as she was a bit of an attention seeker, she was in her 60s with renal failure, already had a nasty gash on her leg from Nam, would not take any advice from us on it even though she herself worked for the NHS. She tried to keep up with us climbing the temples, didnt drink all day and wondered why she fainted. Yes one of those! I am keeping intouch with one of the Aussie lasses by email as am having problems on FB, it doesnt give me a friend request. We hit alot of wet weather over there but the main thing was the accommodation was clean and tidy which is the main thing. U pulled you jammie toad I was hoping to bump into someone fit but never mind ;( The good side was I got £380 back from the currency I returned he he!!

Eeee, shes getting on my nerves just the thought of it.. I'm not sure if I could of handled her! And I thought I had a night mare of a woman to deal with when I was in Morocco for 2 weeks in 2010.. she makes mine nothing!! I did have to share a room with her for the whole trip though.. she was .. Kate, Kate ,Kate can you do this and that and can you take me back to our room and lock me in then you can go to the bar with the others! we were all like wtf, she would of been safe enough in the hotel with the door just shut!! then she moaned about the heat as it hit 45 degrees most days, but she knew that before we left! It got to the point my guide was just ignoring her and we left her to her own devises whilst we all headed out to the bars etc... and at one point I was knocking on the girls room door and see if I could spend the night on there sofa!!! Jeez, there is some right dim people!! Shame you didn't pick the same date as me, you honestly would of had a right laugh!! especially if your into drinking games and being dragged onto the dance floor!! I must of admitt I was a little shocked That I pulled , as I look back at the pics and looks like I have been dragged through the hedge backwards!! he clearly likes that look :-/ trying to keep my hair nice and striaght went straight out the window!! yes , it rained every day for us too.. but the good thing was it rained at night , dry in the day or rained whilst we were on the bus or in a resturant.. plenty of power cuts aswell! to be honest I wanted to stand in the rain for a cool down

I was also chuffed with the hotels and the food is sooooo cheap I couldn't believe it , and I couldn't eat it all!! Awesome that you have so much money left over, I still have to change mine.. I wonder how much I left.. hmmmm!! Although I didnt buy anything apart from loads of drink .. ha ha ha!!! when your fb is work properly you will have to hop on o ver!

or send me your email and I'll add you if you like.. dont feel you have to though. btw, did you get a email from AC the other day? news letter thingy!! I done a mini blog for them for this trip and also includes a artical I done for them in March.. Never thought I'd become a travel writer!! yikes!!

Well am karen hodges on fb if you wana look for me! What was the name of your guide then? Problem on my tour was you had two couples who were there on their anniversaries the iritating old Brit bird, an indian bird from Chicago who was too quiet for me and then my matey Ang. No eye candy and I dont do men with slanty eyes!

lol nutcase! where abouts are you from? As I have just done a search , and got karens from - bathurst, new south wales,bristol and preston!!
Name of my guide is T.. I dont think anybody from my group had cottoned on that this was all going on, so i have kept it quiet in FB .. not that it natters too much, but would be good to atleast keep something tomyself without sending all to a gossip and giving him stick

Am in Bristol me dear xx

ok, i think i have found you in the hope i haven't sent a request to some other thinking i'm trying to stalk! xx

havent recieved anything?

might be because i sent a request to another karen hodges in bristol.. ooops!! shses now gone.. you weren't easy to find!! think i got ya now.. poor sod!!!

Newest Discussions

Recent posts and what you’re talking about right now

Spirit of the Incas - August 2013 by rachhs (2013) Monday, April 08, 2013 12:43 PM
October 2013 by Gramps (2013) Sunday, April 07, 2013 03:02 PM
October 2013 by Gramps (2013) Sunday, April 07, 2013 03:01 PM
What is the SIGHTSEEINGs of chiang mai_Thailand? by albanobrito (Morocco) Sunday, April 07, 2013 10:42 AM

Active Discussions

Join the forum, add to the debate and share your travel tips

Toubkal May 2013 by louise.homer (May 2013) Wednesday, May 08, 2013 09:41 AM
Toubkal May 2013 by louise.homer (Walking) Wednesday, May 08, 2013 09:41 AM
Inca Trail 1 - 11 May 2013 by Mol5096 (Walking) Friday, April 26, 2013 07:48 AM
Inca Trail 1 - 11 May 2013 by Mol5096 (May 2013) Friday, April 26, 2013 07:48 AM

Active Users

48369 registered users, 0 users online right now, 708 topics, 3107 posts.