Jump to Navigation
0808 250 7442
Freephone

Active Arctic Feb2012

Welcome Guest, to make a post on the forum you need to login or register.

Anyone going to Sweden in Feb? Need help with the packing!

Replies

I'm going on the Feb 17th. I still have plenty of questions myself

Yeah I'll be going on the 17th of Feb as well! Guess I'll see you there PhotoLoco!

yep im going ont the17th as well,,should be awesome

I have two pairs of thermals, ski pants and jacket, warm fleece and several t-shirts/ long sleeve tees for underneath.. Warm socks and snow-boots..
Am I missing anything? Think i'll be wearing whole contents of my suitcase all week...

Don't forget lots of camera batteries

I'm taking about three cameras with me, not sure how the cold's going to effect the batteries

My camera has rechargeable battery, hope there'll be places to plug in! Maybe not in the Ice Hotel..

From reading the trip notes I get the impression place to plug in are going to be in short supply, might be worth buying a spare battery, even if it a cheap one off ebay. depends on how many pictures your planning on taking I suppose.

Good call - forgot we'll be going to remote places, where plugs will be in short supply!

Also read it's worth bringing a sealable plastic bag to place your camera in to stop condensation getting on the camera when you bring it indoors. Are you taking a tripod along, haven't decided yet but thinking about it just in case we see the Northern Lights!?

Lev6426 - assume you'll be bringing a wooly hat, gloves. Might want to bring some sunglasses/googles to help protect from snow blindness/see contours in snow (the latter may help keep the top part of your face warm if the weather gets bad) and a scarf or something similar for the bottom part of your face. Other than that, lip seal might be handy and a head torch.

dont forget snacks...mars bars,biscuits,, oh and loadsa batteries...the cold zaps the batteries..

I will definitely be taking my tripod, wanna get some really sharp piccies. I've got a nice titchy one.... tripod that is.

What are your questions photoloco? You said at the beginning you had plenty..

And are any of you women ? (I guess you're not with your titchy one) I read you can't use cream on your face- it freezes and can cause frost bite.. How to moisturise then? Eek

The wife will be coming along as well.

Not sure about moisturiser - guess you could do it in the evenings - when you're out of the wind/cold!?! Don't think it was a problem for the Mrs - we've been out in -30oC before.

Just hoping it doesn't get colder than that as it wasn't pleasant at that temp!!!

I've just booked up for this trip too - looking forward to it. Though I think i'll be beg/borrow/stealing warm clothes from friends!

Ben

Lev6426: my main question at the mo is what type of bag to take, I'm looking at these travel bags with the zip off day sack, not sure.

How many layers did you wear in minus 30? (and where was that?) I'm going to check that weather forecast daily!

Think the rucksack I have is too small for winter gear, I'll probably have a soft wheely case, and a day pack

We were out skiing in the alps - knew it was cold but didn't realise it was going to be that cold, until we saw the temp displayed at the top of the lifts. We got caught out in a storm that day and was later caught in a complete whiteout - v.scary.

Was just wearing thermals (bottoms and top), sallopettes, long sleeve T-shirt (and I think a short sleeve T-shirt on top) and my jacket. Had my wooly hat on and googles, but no face mask/scarf - learnt my lesson from day as the wind can make the snow quite painful when it hits you in the face - like needles poking you in the face. Wooly hat wasn't enough so, luckily had a hood on my jacket which I used as well, other than that it was a case of trying to bury my bottom half of my face in my jacket.

It's always worth taking out a day sack with you as if it's warm you can have extra layers in your rucksack in case you need them i.e face mask/scarf, googles and an extra t-shirt/zip up fleece. Oh and you might wanna bring some of those chemical hand warmers you get (snap them in half and they heat up), think there only a few quid.

Does anyone know how Contact lenses / Glasses will be in the cold?

I have no probs wearing contact lens when skiing, so I figure it'll be fine in the Arctic.

well guys,just need to get me swedish money sorted and i'm ready to go...:)

How much cash you going to take? Most meals are included but I don't think it's so cheap over there??

I've read that contact lenses are fine.. Think glasses can steam up/ condensation etc in the cold. I'm taking both!

What sort of bag are you taking?

Hi there, i got my bag from argos last week, it had a good write up and is like a tardis when you open it up, plenty of space inside with two huge side pouches,,only 25 quid. its not too cumbersome and bulky .It should certainly put up with the luggage handlers heavy handiness .Ive got everything now for the hols except get me money....not long now..

does anyone know what the sleeping arrangements will be, will we need sleeping bags or anything like that?

No idea, I was talking about that with the Mrs last night - if we're in wilderness/hunters lodges, then would we need sleeping bags? Otherwise who would change bedding etc?

hi guys, i phoned up and they said bed linen.sleeping bags,blankets are supplied for us...

Good job! I wasn't planning on taking a sleeping bag... don't own one..

is anyone stopping the night before the flight in Yotel? (yes Yotel not Hotel)

Yotel?? I'm booked in the Heathrow Premier Inn...

Are people taking gaiters? And anyone any idea how much Swedish cash to take?

hi ya, im taking some twizletts, there like bicycle clips that go over my salopettes,,,keeping the trousers tight to my snow boots stopping the snow riding up..only a couple of quid,, well the skiddoos are about 120 quid,snow shoes 12 quid,,plus tips,,im taking about 350 quid,,,,alcohol is astronomical out there!!!! lol

Where you buy "twizletts"? Googled them, found nothing..? Have to say I'm getting very excited but find packing for a bikini hol much less stressful!

hi ya ,,camping shops sell them,,there like a corded tie that you fasten together with a hook,,failing that a bit of elastic will do the trick,,,,oh type in trouser ties...you can get them from army surplus stores..yes excited isnt the word for me,,,i'm all ready to go,,just need to get my currency,,,i just love the snow

What time are you guys checking in, just read the letter that came through the post and it reckons 3hrs prior to departure, which seems a bit excessive for a European flight???

Keep saying to myself that all this cold weather we're having at the mo will help us acclimatise...like you guys, I can't wait. Was gutted that we weren't there the other day when there was that massive solar flare - just hoping there's another big one (and no clouds) so we can see a decent northern lights show.

Yeah I reckon I'll take £350 as well. Not bothering with gaiters as my ski trousers has a bit that goes inside the boot and another layer that goes over the top of the boot, to keep the snow out.

i tend to check in for european flights an hour before - 3h is silly, especially at that time of the morning!

I'll see you guys in Stockholm - I'm off to see friends for a couple of days first, and will join you on the second flight up to Kiruna.

Ben

I'm thinking check in about 2 hours before. Will probably be asleep on that first flight after getting up at 4.30, so maybe i'll say see you in Stockholm too!

As for acclimatising- I'm checking the Kiruna weather forecast daily.. minus 31 today "feels like -37" can't even begin to understand what that's going to feel like, but I am a little scared!

Its -1 here and Heathrow's cancelling flights because of the snow.. they better sort that out before the 17th!

I'll see you guys at check-in then, I'll be the guy with the lost expression on his face

is anyone taking a Thermos Flask, seems a lot of weight?

, yes i'm takng a thermos flask,it holds just over a cup full and got it from asda,, only a couple quid and not bulky. it looks like i'm taking everything but the kitchen sink lol...i just need to pick up me currency on wed and thats me done...hopefully im within the 10kg allowance lol..

10kg... D'oh. I've just weighted my bag and it nearly pulled my door frame down, trying to cut some weight now.

10kg!!! I guess I'll be the one looking like the Michelin Man at the airport then!

Picked up the money this morning, so just got to pack and reread the documentation to see what else I've missed!!!

Glad the temperature's warmed up a bit over there!

10kg is just suggested so we not lugging too much stuff around. Pretty sure you're allowed 20kg on the flights. There's no way I'm even attempting to weigh under 10kg!

I've borrowed a small thermos flask, but not sure will really need it.

Don't forget driving licenses for skidoos.. and I just re-read this feed- head torch! Great idea!

Ps Heathrow Term 3 website says check-in 2 hours before for European flights. Extra hour in bed then...

People taking sun cream?

Anyone there? Or you all too busy finishing off the packing...

Yeah we'll be taking sun cream...not long now!!!

Newest Discussions

Recent posts and what you’re talking about right now

Spirit of the Incas - August 2013 by rachhs (2013) Monday, April 08, 2013 01:43 PM
October 2013 by Gramps (2013) Sunday, April 07, 2013 04:02 PM
October 2013 by Gramps (2013) Sunday, April 07, 2013 04:01 PM
What is the SIGHTSEEINGs of chiang mai_Thailand? by albanobrito (Morocco) Sunday, April 07, 2013 11:42 AM

Active Discussions

Join the forum, add to the debate and share your travel tips

Toubkal May 2013 by louise.homer (May 2013) Wednesday, May 08, 2013 10:41 AM
Toubkal May 2013 by louise.homer (Walking) Wednesday, May 08, 2013 10:41 AM
Inca Trail 1 - 11 May 2013 by Mol5096 (Walking) Friday, April 26, 2013 08:48 AM
Inca Trail 1 - 11 May 2013 by Mol5096 (May 2013) Friday, April 26, 2013 08:48 AM

Active Users

47380 registered users, 0 users online right now, 708 topics, 3107 posts.